Migraine is a common type of headache that cause intense throbbing or pulsating pain not necessarily on one side of the head. Migraine attacks are very painful and they may be accompanied with nausea, vomiting along with severe headache. Majority of migraine patients complain of extreme sensitivity to light and sound.
At Migraine Upkram, a headache clinic in Faridabad, each patient we see has been enduring pain for years and learnt to take a pain killer whenever the episode arises. All patients have been told by their doctors that Migraine cannot be cured permanently and it can only be managed which is not true. Migraine can be cured permanently at Migraine Upkram where Ayurvedic medicines are used to treat it. The best ayurvedic medicines for migraine based on Prakriti of a patient are used here and the episodes of headaches are tracked. It is seen that 90% of migraine patients get cured of headaches within first 6 months of the treatment. Remaining 10% may take longer but the intensity and frequency of pain certainly comes down.
Should you take Painkillers for Migraine?
Painkillers just mute the notifications of pain to your body. Every migraine patient that we treat at Migraine Upkram has the same story. Earlier, a painkiller used to work but now I need a different painkiller. After some time, this also stops working. This happens due to tolerance and dependence of pain killers. Long-term use of opioids can lead to tolerance, meaning higher doses are needed to achieve the same pain-relieving effect, as well as physical dependence, where the body becomes reliant on the drug to function normally.
Side Effects of Pain Killers
Migraine cannot be treated with painkillers alone. Painkillers do relieve the pain but then they have many side effects of their own. No pain killer is safe for the body. The specific side effects can vary depending on the type of painkiller and frequency of its use.
Some common side effects of painkillers are listed below:
1. Gastric issue: Many painkillers like Ibuprofen, Naprosyn widely used for migraine irritate the lining of the stomach. It can give rise to symptoms like indigestion, burning, bloating, even ulcers or bleeding in the stomach. The more you take painkillers, the more you will experience migraine episodes.
2. Constipation: Many migraine patients are prescribed medicines like ultracet that can cause constipation. Constipation is one common trigger of migraine episode. So, for the time being your pain will come down on taking this kind of pain killer, but next episode will not be very far.
3. Kidney Problems: Long-term use of NSAIDs (painkillers) can impair kidney function, leading to fluid retention, high blood pressure, and kidney damage.
4. Heart Problems: NSAIDs (painkillers) may increase the risk of heart attack or stroke, especially in people with heart disease or risk factors for heart disease.
5. Drowsiness: Many pain medications for migraine cause drowsiness or sleepiness. If the adequate sleep is not met then, it will increase the episodes of migraine again as lack of sleep triggers migraine.
How can you Cure Migraine Permanently?
Migraine can be cured permanently with Ayurvedic treatment and Panchkarma therapies. Ayurvedic medicines work on the root cause of headaches. If you are a migraine patient, you know that what triggers your headache may not trigger other’s headache. Some migraine patients are extremely sensitive towards smell, fragrances whereas other people may not get headaches on exposure to particular smells. It may be bright lights for other migraine patients that invite migraine attack. This is because every person has a different Prakriti and Vikriti. The aggravated dosha in the body is different so each migraine patient needs a personalized unique approach of treatment.
Herbs like Brahmi, Ashwagandha, Shankpushpi, Shatavari, Triphala are used based on Prakriti and dosha analysis of migraine patient. It is important to consult a good Ayurvedic doctor for migraine treatment. Panchkarma therapies like Shirodhara and Nasya can not only alleviate migraine symptoms but can cure migraine permanently. Nasya involves the administration of herbal oils or powders into the nostrils to clear the nasal passages and promote the flow of prana (life force energy). Nasya may help relieve congestion and alleviate migraine symptoms associated with sinusitis or nasal congestion. Shirodhara is a therapeutic technique that involves pouring a continuous stream of warm oil over the forehead. It induces deep relaxation, calms the mind, and may help alleviate migraine pain and associated symptoms.
Migraine can be easily and permanently cured if Ayurvedic treatment is given at initial stages. For chronic cases too it can be treated with diet and lifestyle modification and the medicines. Our motto that “Migraine can be treated the day you want to” makes our treatment plan the best treatment for migraine in India.